Pin it plugin

Pin it plugin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Living a Dream- Italian Sponge Cake- Pan di spagna- Recipe from Cake Boss

I have been living a dream for some time now, in my next life I want to be Buddy Valastro. I simply admire the way he bakes his cakes. Every time I observe him on TLC, I would wonder what must be the secret to his success, what must be the recipes he would be using to make his cakes, I am left in awe!
I could see so many of my queries being answered and conceivably some ingredients of my dreams coming true soon. And before you know it! I came across his book Cake Boss: stories and Recipes from Mia Famiglia. All I could have done was to wait for the book to arrive and start baking from it.
I contemplated on opening with the basic sponge cake and then rolling on. The deliberation of converting my British baking methods to American was overwhelming but I got on with it, and voila! When friends around lived through the cake, the instantaneous response was; hmmmm! The cake comes straight from the bakery!! What more can I express about the cake, yes it was the prevalent accomplishment for me indeed!  My contentment and delight knew no bounds! And yes this is just the commencement, so many more to come from Buddy’s book, Mama Mia!

1 ½ cups sugar, plus more for lining parchment paper,
5 extra large eggs at room temperature,
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract,
Drop of lemon oil (Optional),
1 ½ cups cake flour, sifter, plus more for flouring the cake pan,
1/3 cup vegetable oil,
Unsalted butter; for greasing cake pan (about 1 tablespoon); non-stick cooking spray or vegetable may be substituted

Position the rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350F
Put the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon oil, if using, in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with whist attachment. (if you don’t have a stand mixer, you can put the ingredients in a bowl, and use a hand mixer with the blending attachments). Beat starting on low and raise to medium and whip until the mixture is thick, shiny, and ivory in color, and has multiplied several times in volume, approximately 15 minutes. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape as much mixture as possible off the whisk attachment and into the bowl.
Add the flour and patiently fold in it with a rubber spatula, then pour in the oil, and fold in until fully absorbed into the mixture.
Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan. Pour the batter into the pan, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula.
Bake until the cake begins to pull from the sides of the pan and is springy to the touch, 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour. The cake should be at room temperature before you remove it from the pan. Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet, top with sugar, turn the cake out onto the parchment, the sugar will keep it from sticking.



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 Expresso yourself!:

ipskhurana said...

my favorites....its yummy !

Nandita said...

Deliciously yummy!

Post a Comment